Mobile VR headsets are essentially head-mounted devices that let you use your smartphone like a virtual reality device. Just download some of the many free or cheap virtual reality apps and games, mount your phone into the headset and start having fun!
Mobile VR headsets make virtual reality an experience that anyone can afford. And there are tons of different products available already. We think the Merge virtual reality headset for iPhone and Android is a great option but first check out some of the pros and cons below before you decide.
This is one of the few devices that is compatible with a wide range of phones. It fits most iPhones and Android phones so you don’t have to worry about needing to get a new phone to experience virtual reality.
The headset has dual touch inputs on the side that let you control your phone while it is mounted inside—no extra controller necessary. This is a very convenient feature that you will definitely appreciate while you’re playing your VR games or watching a VR movie.
The headset is lightweight and uses foam to allow for a comfortable, soft fit while you are wearing it. The head strap also means you can keep your hands free while you use it.
- VR HEADSET FOR KIDS AND CLASSROOMS: Made of durable and flexible foam material that’s comfortable, easy to wipe clean, and has adjustable lenses
- EDUCATIONAL GAMES AND VR EXPERIENCES: Visit MERGE Miniverse online for hand-picked STEM games and videos - explore the solar system, walk with dinosaurs, take virtual field trips and more - also works with Google Expeditions
- AWARD-WINNING STEM TOOL: Featured in Consumer Reports, named by CNN as Best VR Headset for Big Kids and Tweens, Winner of the Academics Choice Award
- WORKS WITH AUGMENTED REALITY: Compatible with Augmented Reality experiences and works with the MERGE Cube
- EASY TO USE: Compatible with both iOS and Android smartphones
The soft, flexible foam material used for the headset makes it a much more durable device. Dropping it won’t really harm the headset and it will keep your phone safe (although we don’t recommend dropping it!).
While it is still a very reasonable price, for the mobile VR headset market, it is a little bit on the higher side. But we are still talking about a sub $100 product here so it’s not outrageous and it is very high quality.
While it can be compatible with a wide range of smartphones, some definitely fit better than others. If your phone is especially small, it may not fit very snuggly. And if it’s especially large, it may be a bit tight. But this doesn’t significantly impact the VR experience so it’s not necessarily a big deal.
This is a great, durable option that you can easily take with you anywhere. Because it is lightweight and built with materials that don’t break easily, you won’t have to worry about breakage. It’s also very versatile. So if you’re going to invest in a mobile VR headset, we think this one is worth the price. But if you really need to go for the lowest possible price, there are cheaper options out there.